Friday, June 1, 2007

1. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Yeah, it was okay.

That was my reaction when I finally read this book that everyone had been raving about. It was definitely *the* book for 2005-06 so that's probably why it's on this list. I don't think it's got the substance to achieve real longevity - it's slipped from #1 anyhow on the updated list.

Basically, the story is about a professor - an expert in religious symbolism - who gets caught up in a thriller to discover the truth about the Holy Grail. I think we all know the controversy by now. I bet the Christians that protested about this book and the subsequent film were not all that impressed that it beat the Bible by 26 places.

It was a reasonable book but not really worth the hype. And the movie was horrible. Read it if you want. I'd give it about a 7/10 cause it was interesting but there's other things to read first in my opinion.

4 comments:

m.willa said...

I have to say this book really held my attention. I just wanted to see what was around the corner. In fact, I think I've read it twice, but I agree with you...the movie was crap when compared to the book...not enough time in a movie to get the depth needed to really submerse oneself in the story...much like the Harry Potter books/movies.

Renee K said...

I was hesitant to read this because of all the hype- but found I was pleasantly surprised.
I enjoyed it (probably cause I enjoy any chance to poke fun at the bible), but haven't been tempted to watch the movie yet...

aquarian said...

I found that I enjoyed it more because I had done some of the art history.

A friend read it and found the copy with all the pictures easier to read.

But do agree the movie was crapola.

Bells said...

I enjoyed it more than I thought i would but I'm interested in these alternative theories about christ. It took me two years to get to it though because I rail against the hype. Refuse to see the movie because I can't stand Tom Hanks!