Friday, June 1, 2007

4. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is my equal-first favourite book. It's one that I come back to every couple of years and re-read. I just love it - I find it so beautifully written and crafted.

The story is set in the deep South during the 30s. It starts off introducing the narrator, Scout's family and then slowly, through her eyes and growing awareness, moves into the main plot line. Scout's father, Atticus Finch defends a black man accused of raping a white woman. It's a terribly bittersweet book - moments of laughter and hope contrasted with the worst of human nature.

Just gorgeous - I could gush for hours. I was captivated by this novel when I was 15 and it's one of the only books that I can see myself re-reading for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I just love your review on this book, it is an amazingly crafted novel. I think I read it when I was 16 but it's on my shelves still, all tattered with heaps of notes etched in the columns for my english class!!

Dee said...

Because of your review I decided to order this one and Catcher in the Rye (which I'll comment on as well) - I _love_ this book so far! I'm not that far through, but it has grabbed me straight away, and won't let go. The language is beautiful, so evocative and touching. Thank you :)

Dee said...

Ok, this is now officially on my list of top 10 favourite books. I am absolutely rapt to have found such a gem :D I've gone and hired the DVD now as well, I have heard it's an excellent movie that does justice to the book.

LinkyLou said...

Yay, awesome, Dee. I would teach this and convert others but then I think I would lose my love...