Friday, June 1, 2007

66. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

A lot of people don't even know that Fight Club was once a novel - a cult novel at that. I'd heard the film was good but very very violent which isn't my cup of tea, so I thought I wouldn't really like this book either. I decided that since I was nice and bruised this week after having wisdom teeth out, that this was the perfect novel :)

The book is focused on an unnamed narrator. He leads a boring life until he meets Tyler Durden, a malicious and brilliant anarchist who invents the Fight Club - basically a place for men to vent their frustrations by beating the crap out of each other. It's a very dark novel, with black black comedy.

And the surprise is... I actually kinda liked this. I didn't see the twist coming and it was easy enough to read and intriguing at the same time. I did find the narrative style a little hard to follow but maybe that's because I wasn't in the mood to 100% focus. Generally, I would recommend this. Heck, I probably will.

No comments: