Friday, June 1, 2007

6. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

This is the first book of the series that spawned the Da Vinci Code. Robert Langdon is a American expert in religious symbolism who is unwittingly drawn in to a plot to destroy the Vatican. Much like the Da Vinci Code, a lot of the novel relies on the conspiracy theories concerning secret religious societies.

I actually quite liked this book. I read it as a book club selection after reading the DVC which I wasn't that impressed with - but was pleasantly surprised. I felt this plot had more surprises in it and less "running-around-frantically" which drove me mad in the second novel. Perhaps it's time to mention here that I HATE The Amazing Race for just that reason so I was bound to hate anything with a frantic treasure hunt. Anyhow, quite liked this book, especially the visions of Rome and the Vatican which I could visualise so clearly. Hated hated hated the helicopter scene - just a LITTLE far fetched!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this one better than the DaVinci Code, although I've only read it once and it's fading from my memory a bit. I should read it again.