Friday, June 1, 2007

19. Tully by Paulina Simons

Tully is probably the most annoying main character in any of the Simons books. I quite like her epic style but this book needed to be about 100 pages shorter. Tully has a pretty rough life, growing up with two best friends, Jennifer and Julie, but also an abusive family life. Her issues from her childhood affect her so she seems unable to function normally in her adult relationships. I just wanted to tell her to stop being such a cow and get over herself - and I don't think that's what the author intended. Probably says more about me than her, but the self indulgent, selfish behaviour of this character was pretty darn alienating in my opinion and I was pretty glad to finish this and put it away.

1 comment:

Renee K said...

This was the first of Simons books I read- so I loved it as I love her writing style. I agree though that on reflection it was a rather annoying story (and the main character VERY self indulgent)... but very captivating, as with all Simons books.