Friday, June 1, 2007

89. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

I think I've read this before. It was nice but I was hoping for something more.

The novel is set in Mexico around the time of the Mexican Revolution. The protagonist of the novel is Tita, a beautiful teenager who is unable to marry the man she loves because of a family tradition that states that the youngest daughter must look after her mother and never marry. The novel is written using magic realism, so there are plenty of supernatural events to enjoy. The writing itself is beautiful and lyrical, but I think characterisation is somewhat lost in translation. I really didn't like the male love interest and wanted the novel to head in a different direction, which I don't think is the intention. I'm now interested to see the film, which was released in 1992.

No comments: