Friday, June 1, 2007

7. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

This is a book where the plot sounds so strange, it puts people off. I did really like the premise - it starts with the murder of the 14 year old narrator, Susie, who then continues observing the events after her death from heaven and also in a ghostly state on earth. The depth of development of the family's trauma and eventual "moving on" is very clever.

The ending however - horrible. Horrible for the reader in terms of satisfaction. Erk. Awful. It just made me so cross because it didn't seem true to the rest of the book. I'd give it a 7/10, I guess - minus 30% for a few dozen horrible pages of plot twists seems about fair.

1 comment:

Renee K said...

Funny you should say the ending was horrible- I completely agree! I loved reading this book and then after finishing it I was just thinking 'oh'. It left me feeling like it was really lacking- such a disappointment after a mostly good read.