Friday, June 1, 2007

91. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

I'm not a huge fan of Jodi Picoult, though I do find the ideas behind her books interesting and the writing style is okay. This one attracted me because I know so little about the Amish and Picoult actually spent time living with an Amish family before writing the novel which is pretty cool.

My usual complaints about Jodi Picoult books stand though - her "surprise twist" is so darn obvious from about halfway through the book, that you just get bored with it. Many of my students love these and I can see why - I think I would have been more receptive to the twist if I didn't have the life and literature experience to anticipate it from about page 60!

So an alright book, I guess, is my opinion overall, but definitely a holiday read in my opinion - for when you don't want anything too challenging!

No comments: