Friday, June 1, 2007

88. It by Stephen King

I've read a few Stephen King novels along the way and always quite liked them. They are incredibly freaky in their imagery - he certainly knows how to create an atmosphere and tap into human fears.

It is a little more "unreal" perhaps than others I've read though. The all-persuasive "villian" was a little odd. I kept wondering why, if he was able to control people and make things appear etc., that he didn't just use this power to kill the main characters once and for all. But there was some sort of an explanation for that, I guess, though it was a little vague.

I did enjoy the novel, though I found it was a bit long, as some parts seemed a bit same-same and I wanted more plot progression. Cleverly written though, with some interesting shifts in narration and the reveal of detail. Definitely not one that I would enthusiastically recommend, but I wouldn't NOT recommend it to fans of the genre or those who are curious.

1 comment:

Jason B. Standing said...

I take back my idea about watching all the films that coincide with these books. There's no way I'm sitting through this A-class turd of a film again. Most people of my age who saw it remember watching it when they were in their late teens, and decry it for its ludicrous ending (realised through the low-budget special effects of the day), but with the benefit of glorious hindsight I can also tell you that it's a monument to wooden, b-grade acting as well.