Friday, June 1, 2007

33. Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

I read this earlier this year, once again only cause it was on the list. How I avoided it through eight years of teaching, I do not know. Well, yeah I do - I moved to the UK. The book is written in first person from the POV of Josie Alibrandi, a first generation Italian-Australian and follows her trials fitting in at a "mainstream" school. It feels a little dated now - the Italian community is definitely not viewed in the same way as it was at the time this book was published. For instance, I don't think many kids growing up now would be shocked at a garlicy pasta dish anymore! The theme of culture and fitting in is still universal though - it's been modernised in the 2005 by Randa Abdel-Fattah, Does My Head Look Big In This? which seems more relevant - and I think Looking for Alibrandi will soon replaced on the school reading lists by this book too.

No comments: