Friday, June 1, 2007

65. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Yeah...okay. I thought I would like this a lot more than I did. It's been recommended to me quite a few times, as I'm a bit of a Bronte fan, so I was quite excited when my reservation at the library finally came up! Basically, the book is about an alternate 1983 where Thursday Next, a Special Ops agent is tracking down a killer. However, in this reality, literature is religion and taken very very seriously. The killer has stolen a first edition and has the power to remove characters and murder them - and is therefore holding the country to ransom.

It's very very British - that's for sure. It reminds me a bit of the Terry Pratchett work, not in content or even writing style, but just that oh-so-cleverness that really doesn't appeal to me. I think I look for something else in novels - a connection to the character in some way and that just didn't happen for me here. I didn't care about the protagonist at all... I did like the Jane Eyre ending storyline but overall, this wasn't a winner for me.

No comments: