Friday, June 1, 2007

28. The Bride Stripped Bare - Anon

Ugh. Could this book be any more over-rated? Well maybe. Just look at The Alchemist. This was one of those novels that everyone was reading and I borrowed a copy from someone back in early 2004 with high hopes.

Maybe it was the completely unlikeable protagonist, perhaps it was the fact that the "anonymous" author finally revealed herself (and what a wanky, pretentious woman she was!) or perhaps it was just that I was about to get married and was all loved-up myself, but I just couldn't stand this novel. I really didn't get what all the excitement was about - a woman who cheats on her husband and has sex A LOT.

Yeah, I know - I'm grossly simplifying but as I said - uuuggghhhh! I think it was also the writing style - no quotation marks for direct speech and the very annoying use of the second person, "you", meant that I was continually irritated while reading this novel. I found it to be the next step in the "Sex and the City"fying of pop culture and that also irritates me. It seemed to suggest that her actions were the right and were justified - the labelling of the chapters as "Lessons" further supported that suggestion. I know a lot of people that enjoyed it though so I'll be interested to see any differing opinions appear in the comments.

1 comment:

Renee K said...

Can I skip this one when I read the list?