Friday, June 1, 2007

74. The Pact by Jodi Picoult

I'm taking advantage of some of some of the quick reads in order to get some posts on the board! I read this one, courtesy of Courtney H. and a really violent movie that our husbands insisted on watching on Sunday night!

Basically, two teenagers grow up together, fall in love, and are about to graduate. One night, they are both rushed to hospital. One dies from a gunshot wound; the other says it was a suicide pact. He is eventually charged with murder and the truth is obscured for all until the very end.

I'm not a fan of Picoult's style which always surprises me. I think her novels lack pace and that while she has an interesting premise, they are always so laboured that you can't help but guess the ending. That was my problem with this novel too - many many too many descriptions of life in jail and sad parents on the outside and far too many hints as to the real truth.

Only "okay" in my opinion, though I'll expect some opposition on this one as many people just LOVE this writer. I've still two more of her titles to read....

1 comment:

UK said...

I loved this book...my first one of hers to read...the characters are so real you feel like you know them......you will not be let down.