Friday, June 1, 2007

8. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult, is about a teenage girl who sues her parents for the right to make her own decisions about how her body is used when a kidney transplant is planned in order to potentially save her older sister from cancer. She has been conceived through in vitro fertilisation to be a perfect donor match for a bone marrow but this did not send her sister into a long term remission. The novel is told through narratives from all members of the family involved and is quite interesting in that way. It examines, from each point of view, the conflicts and ethical choices that have to be faced.

I thought this book was okay, if a little predictable. Maybe I'm a little cynical but I saw the "surprise twist" from about the third page and I kept thinking, This can't be it! I also though the ending was also the ultimate cop out and was really disappointed that the author went that way. It felt a little like "The Lovely Bones" or something by Nicholas Sparks with the horrible, trite, sentimental ending. So I haven't been converted to Ms. Picoult yet, even though she seems to be filling everyone else's bookshelves!

No comments: