Friday, June 1, 2007

96. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Wow, interesting read. This took me ages to get into, but I became engaged about 200 pages in. It's a LONG read, and a challenging one in my opinion, but well worth it.

The novel is set in alternate United States. It never says "when" it is, but I definitely felt it was "about" the 1950s or so, just from the level of technology and the fashions described. The novel is all about industrialists, and how they are vital to the world, yet are scorned by "the people". In the novel, the do-ers are regulated by "the men from Washington" to a ridiculous level. To over-simplify, this novel asks the question - what if those people, the people who strive, innovate and produce, just stopped?

A very good read if you're willing to work through the opening, which quite frankly, I found very slow. I powered through the last section - and really enjoyed this novel overall.

No comments: