Friday, June 1, 2007

76. Wild Swans by Jung Chang

For some reason, I thought I hadn't read this. So I borrowed it again, and a few pages in, I realised I had, but not for a while. Still, I got totally caught up again and enjoyed this book a lot!

The book is about three generations of Chinese women, living in the decades between 1909 and 1978 when the story concludes. These years were politically turbulent in China with the expulsion of the Japanese, and the ensuing civil war. Chang's parents were active in the development of the Communist regime that followed, but then suffered the miseries of the Cultural Revolution.

The book was a best seller in the early 1990s because it's a very accessable, personal look into Communist China - something that many Westerners don't really know much about. Chang writes well, (though perhaps with a little lack of skill in description -probably due to translation) and it is easy to follow the politics and changes.

No comments: