Friday, June 1, 2007

87. Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice

I'm not a big fan of vampire fiction - it's all a bit gory and soul searching...two attributes that don't really appeal to me. I enjoyed this to begin with but tired of all the angst about halfway through. Starting in 1791, the story traces Louis, a tortured vampire who hungers for blood as all vampires, but still retains his mortal compassion and love of beauty. This is a vividly written novel and you do get a true sense of character development, but honestly, by the end, I just didn't care. I think I stopped caring some time around the time that Louis arrived in Paris actually - which is a bit sad as that's where the climax of the book occurs. I think I came to this a bit late in life - perhaps as an angsty teenager myself, this would have had more appeal.

No comments: