Friday, June 1, 2007

List Number One!

So this is a pretty self-indulgent blog (because of course, there aren't any of those on the net already!) so ignore if you wish. Who knows how you've happened here...maybe you're a friend of mine, a forum buddy or perhaps an English student somewhere googling for free exam papers. Well, bad luck to the latter (and go and do your own work!) - this is just my new little pet project.

About a year ago, one of the bookstores put out their top 100 list (okay, yes it was A&R) and I picked it up to see how many of the pop culture books I had read. It ended up being only about a third which actually quite surprised me. However, on this list, there are lots and lots of books from genres that I would never pick on my own. So I decided to read the entire list...

Well, it's 2007 now and they've just released the updated list. And I'm still working on last years'.

The new list, thankfully, contains some Steinbeck and the most over-rated book ever published, The Alchemist has dropped off. Maybe I should read that one but eh - anyone who knows me, knows I have completion issues so I'll perhaps get to that later in the year. Or in the next decade sometime.

Anyhow.

My plan is to write up the ones that I have read so far and then tell people about this blog. Maybe someone else will read it - who knows. I'm always being asked to recommend books anyhow (I'm a mild manner English teacher by day) so this will be a start for those people anyhow.

Please feel free to argue with me, warn me or praise any of the books that I have/haven't got to - using the comments. Please don't use the comments to say "Oh My GOSH, you haven't read Lord of the Rings" or similar, cause that just annoys me. Oh, and would love to hear some of your favourite books ever that aren't on the list. I'd heartily recommend the new Mitch Albom or my absolute most recommended, but exceptionally disturbing novel ever - We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Alright, here goes.... Will be back to update soon.

By the way, if you are very interested, and wish to be emailed when I update, please send me an email with the URL of this site as a subject - lineke98@hotmail.com - and I'll let you know.

Oh darn, now I have to read Lord of the Rings.

11 comments:

Jason B. Standing said...

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Lynn's got a BLOG!

Watch as the fabric of reality folds in on itself.

If I had time, I'd start up a companion project to watch and review all of the films of the books mentioned in the list. With the exception of The Bible - I'm not sitting through another performance of "Jesus Christ, Superstar".

Alternatively, if you want to get through it quicker - try this:
http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/classics.shtml

Anonymous said...

I have read 31 (although I haven't read the bible all the way through, I've read a lot more of it than some :). Obviously a different subset than you have, and I suspect I can guess which ones are on my list but not yours! (hint: I read LotR a long time ago...)

Angela Alcorn said...

pt now you're going to spend all your time writing about hte books instead of reading them :P

Angela Alcorn said...

For the LJ people: We have feed.

http://www.livejournal.com/friends/add.bml?user=lynn_booklist

Angela Alcorn said...

That's: user=lynn_booklist

Renee K said...

This is a great blog! I want to read the list now too!
Read LOR next- you wont regret it. I'm not a fantasy buff AT ALL at it's one of my most favourite reads. Gives me shivers thinking of it... you don't read LOR- you live it :)

LinkyLou said...

Thanks Ange for linking it! Maybe one day I will venture into LJ....

Thanks Renee too. I'd love to inspire someone else to read the list so we could compare notes!

Don't forget to tell me if you agree with my thoughts as you read!

Melissa Jane said...

I thought all forms of writing were self indulgent ;p

LinkyLou said...

As an English teacher, you know I will never never agree to that, Liss!

Dee said...

I've read 49 of that list - that surprises me as I didn't think my reading tastes were that varied.

I have to say although I've read LOTR's I find any attempt to re-read painful at best: they are long, windy and the movies at least were pretty visually ;)

I can highly NOT recommend the Traci Harding book and the David Eddings book. Wild Swans haunted me, part of the reason being my inability to relate to the writer. I've never been able to get into Margaret Atwood for some reason - the book's voice almost seemed to "soft" in The Blind Assassin.

And, as always: The Eyre Affair is one of my all time favourite books. I only wish I could go back and re-read it with fresh eyes so I could relive that experience all over again.

LinkyLou said...

Oh dear, Dee - the next one on my list (it's actually on my bedside table right now!) is Ancient Future!