Friday, June 1, 2007

78. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

OH MY GOD!!!

This book has taken me about four months to finish - I don't think I've ever struggled so much to wade through a novel before. I just do not get the interest? Why is this book a classic?

Basically, the novel follows two couples, through their courting and the aftermath in the 1870s. Its listed themes are fidelity, love and jealousy, progress and passion but arrrrggggghhhh. Long and drawn out, tortured characters -- I can barely share my opinion without being bored.

Let's just say I certainly won't be starting War and Peace any time soon...

1 comment:

Willa said...

I really agree with this comment. It took me the whole summer to get through that book a couple years ago. By the time I was finished I couldn't remember all of it...and didn't really want to.