Friday, June 1, 2007

77. Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm is a satirical allegory focused on the events of the 1917 Russian revolution. It's surface plot is basically that the animals of Manor Farm overthrow their cruel human master and aim to run the farm themselves as equals. The pigs, being the smartest, take the leadership and eventually become corrupt and as cruel as the human master ever was.

I taught this to disaffected hoodies in Newport News. Some of the kids "got it", most of them didn't. That's pretty much ruined this book for me. I think it's quite clever and there's some great lines in it. I love Boxer, the carthorse. It is clever. As you can see, I'm conflicted. I didn't like studying it at school or teaching it for that matter, so I think can will just intellectually admire it and try to avoid reading it again.

No comments: