Friday, June 1, 2007

57. 1984 by George Orwell

I still remember studying this at school, though my only memory that is exceptionally vivid is seeing pubic hair in the film version. Oh the horror. Set in a future totalitarian state (in 1984 but the book was written in 1948 so not "our" 1984), Winston Smith lives under the watchful eye of Big Brother, a government entity. The greatest crime is "thoughtcrime".

I really think I should be teaching this. It's longer and tougher than the novels we tend to choose for class texts, but I need to encourage more students to read this book. It's disturbing and a scary glimpse into where the world could end.

1 comment:

Renee K said...

I LOVED this book... it's the only book where I still didn't know how it was going to end till I read the last three words. Brilliant.