Friday, June 1, 2007

100. River God by Wilbur Smith

According to Wilbur Smith, this novel was based on scrolls found in an Egyptian burial tomb in 1988. Apparently, he just "made it more accessible to a modern audience" by adding dialogue and narrative voice. I've been unable to confirm this but what the hey: it is a great story whether true or not.

The narrator is Taita, a slave-eunuch of the woman who eventually becomes Queen of Egypt. He is a scholar and a poet as well as being brilliant and beautiful. The woman, Lostris, is married to the reigning Pharoah at 14 years of age, although she is in love with another.

I thought this would be a book that I would absolutely have to plough through with determination - not my style at all. But I was enthralled by the end of the first ten pages and while the epic length of the plot line was a little wearing towards the end, it certainly detailed in graphic description how tough life was and how brutal. Lots of stomach turning description at times, but also a gripping, reasonably well paced story that had me immersed til the end.

No comments: